Juventus director Fabio Paratici has confirmed that the club have begun negotiations over renewing Paulo Dybala’s contract.
The forward’s current deal is set to expire at the end of next season, with reports suggesting that the Bianconeri could cash in on him before he becomes a free agent.
However, speaking after Juve’s 3-0 Serie A win against Crotone on Monday night – which Dybala missed due to injury – club director Peartici said that the club are keen to extend the Argentine’s stay in Turin.
“Paulo still has a few problems – it’s like he’s on a swing. Some days he’s better and others he’s worse. He seemed okay [last week], then he felt some pain again,” he said (via Goal).
“We have spoken [about this contract], we have been speaking and will continue to speak in the next few days and months.”
Dybala has struggled for fitness this season, making 16 appearances in all competitions and scoring just three goals. This is a far cry from the form he showed last campaign, when he managed 17 goals and 14 assists in all competitions. Over the course of his career he has also helped the Old Lady win five Scudetti and reach the Champions League final in 2017.
If Dybala does not pen a new deal, there will be no shortage of clubs interested. In the past, Manchester United and Tottenham have both been linked, while Real Madrid and Barcelona are other possible destinations.
Andrea Pirlo will be hoping to have Dybala back in the side soon, as Juventus have endured an underwhelming start to the campaign. They currently trail Serie A leaders Inter by eight points, albeit with a game in hand, and they are also on the cusp of being eliminated from the Champions League, after their round of 16 first leg defeat to Porto last week.